Sunday, June 13, 2010

Good Readers and Good Writers


Good Reader / Good Writer

What does Nabokov think makes a good reader? He believes that a good reader has a sense of imagination, and can relate the story to something that has happened in the reader’s life. Nabakov also believes that a good reader is a rereader. Good readers according to Nabokov also take in every detail of the story and examine it thoroughly to get a grasp on what’s happening in the story.

Do you agree? I do agree with this. I am a huge rereader. Especially when I’ve read a book and cannot connect events of the story. I find I get frustrated and will pick the book up again just so I can grasp the details and clues. I tend to read in short bursts so I can think about what I have just read and imagine in my mind the setting of the story and its characters.

What do you believe are the characteristics of a good reader? Someone who is willing to open their mind to a story. A person who will let their imagination run while they are reading so they can become immersed in the story.

Do you consider yourself a good reader? I do consider myself a good reader, however I will admit one of my faults is that I tend to stick to one kind of author and rarely explore others. If I had to change anything about my reading style it would be that.

Here is a link I found that is a list of good readers. It has to do with good readers know but are seldom taught.
http://www.avko.org/Essays/good_readers.htm


Last but not least…
Find a comfy spot and make it your own.
That makes a good reader.

1 comment:

  1. Great write-up, I am a big believer in commenting on blogs to inform the blog writers know that they’ve added something worthwhile to the world wide web!..
    Manchester

    ReplyDelete